DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
Program Requirements for the Urban Agricultural Infrastructure Grant Program
[49 Pa.B. 3903]
[Saturday, July 27, 2019]
The Department of Agriculture (Department) hereby provides notice of the standards and requirements for the Urban Agricultural Infrastructure Grant Program (Program).
The Program is established under the authority of the act of July 1, 2019 (3 Pa.C.S. §§ 10701—10705), referred to as the Urban Agricultural Infrastructure Grant Program Act (act). The act takes effect August 30, 2019. The Program allows the Department to award reimbursement grants for certain eligible projects to improve urban agricultural infrastructure in an urban area, improve or facilitate the aggregation of agricultural products in an urban area, entail the sharing of resources among urban agricultural entities or community organizations and support community development in the project area.
This notice establishes the procedures by which grant applications will be solicited and reviewed, and by which grants will be awarded, drawing on $500,000 in funding available in Fiscal Year (FY) 2019-2020.
1. Program Objectives. The Program's objective is to provide grants to reimburse some portion of the costs of implementing projects that improve agriculture infrastructure in urban areas and that focus on aggregation of agricultural products, sharing of resources and support for community development resources.
2. Definitions. The following words and phrases apply to the Program:
Department. The Department of Agriculture (Department) of the Commonwealth.
Eligible project. A project that the Department determines does all of the following:
a. Improves agricultural infrastructure in an urban area.
b. Improves or facilitates the aggregation of agricultural products in an urban area.
c. Entails the sharing of resources among urban agricultural operations, agricultural producers or community organizations.
d. Supports community development in the project area.
Person. An individual, partnership, association, firm, corporation or any other legal entity.
Program. The Urban Agricultural Infrastructure Grant Program.
Secretary. The Secretary of the Department.
3. Reimbursement Grant Program. Program grants shall be reimbursement grants. The following shall apply:
a. The amount of reimbursement is based on actual eligible costs submitted by an approved applicant for an approved project during any fiscal year in which grants are offered.
b. Grant reimbursement money is limited to 50% or less of the costs of an eligible project.
c. Grant reimbursement money shall not be used to reimburse any portion of an in-kind contribution to an eligible project.
d. Grant money may not be used to pay or reimburse wages or salaries of grant recipient staff.
e. Grant money may not be used to reimburse any portion of the project costs which are being paid or reimbursed under another Federal or State grant program.
f. A single applicant may not be awarded more than $100,000 in grants in any 5-year period, calculated from the date the Department awards the grant.
4. Eligibility. A person may apply to the Department for a grant under the Program.
5. Grant Types. An applicant for a grant under the Program shall specify whether the applicant seeks a Microgrant or a Collaboration Grant.
a. A ''Microgrant'' shall be awarded for a one-time project or to a single entity applicant. The maximum amount of a Microgrant shall be the lesser of $2,500 or 50% of project costs. No more than $50,000 of available funds in FY 2019-2020 shall be used for microgrants.
b. A ''Collaboration Grant'' shall be awarded for an eligible project (as defined in Paragraph No. 2) for which a Microgrant is not sought. An application for a Collaboration Grant may be submitted by multiple partners on a single project. The maximum amount of a Microgrant shall be the lesser of $50,000 or 50% of project costs.
6. Application procedure.
a. Online Applications Only. An applicant for a grant under the Program shall be submitted through the Commonwealth's Single Application for Assistance online application system at www.esa.dced.state.pa.us.
b. Application Window. Applications must be submitted through the Single Application for Assistance online application system between 7 a.m. August 1, 2019, and 5 p.m. September 6, 2019. Applications received outside of that application window will not be considered or reviewed.
c. Application Requirements. An application for a grant under the Program shall contain the following information:
i. The applicant's name, business address and contact information.
ii. A statement as to whether the applicant seeks a Microgrant or a Collaboration Grant.
iii. The details of the project for which reimbursement grant money is sought, including the following:
A. A project budget.
B. A statement of the maximum amount of grant money sought for the project, not to exceed 50% of project costs.
C. A project construction and implementation schedule.
D. A narrative identifying each entity that will assist in, participate in and benefit from the project.
iv. Separate descriptions of how the project would meet each of the following statutory requirements:
A. Improve agricultural infrastructure in an urban area.
B. Improve or facilitate the aggregation of agricultural products in an urban area.
C. Entail the sharing of resources among urban agricultural operations, agricultural producers or community organizations.
D. Support community development in the project area.
v. An attestation signed by the applicant, verifying the accuracy of the information presented on the application.
7. Disposition and Review of Grant Applications. The Department will review each application, and supporting documentation submitted therewith, for completeness and accuracy. If an application is found to be incomplete or inaccurate, the Department may request additional documentation and may discontinue further processing of the application until the requested information is received.
8. Notice of Disposition of Application. The Secretary will make a decision with respect to each timely, complete grant application it receives by September 15, 2019, and will provide the applicant written notice of the disposition of that application.
9. Agreement Required. If the Secretary approves a grant application, and as a precondition to the Department's release of grant moneys to a successful applicant, the Department and the applicant shall execute a Grant Agreement which describes the terms and conditions subject to which the grant is made.
10. Distribution of Grant Money. As Program grants are reimbursement grants, the Department will not issue grant money until the successful applicant submits all of the following to the Department:
a. A verified statement that the eligible project has been completed or implemented.
b. A verified statement of the project completion date.
c. Photos of the completed or implemented project with a narrative explanation of each photo.
d. Bills and invoices demonstrating that expenses were incurred for which reimbursement grant funds are sought.
Documents submitted to the Department under this Paragraph shall be directed to the Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Market Development, Attn: Agricultural Infrastructure Grant Program Coordinator, 2301 North Cameron Street, Harrisburg, PA 17110-9408.
11. Additional Information: Additional information may be obtained from the Department by contacting Dr. Scott Sheely, Special Assistant, (717) 346-0426, firstname.lastname@example.org.
RUSSELL C. REDDING,
[Pa.B. Doc. No. 19-1142. Filed for public inspection July 26, 2019, 9:00 a.m.]
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Bulletin full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.